Last Tuesday Mercury went into Retrograde. Paused within the emotional waters of Pisces. It will be here for nearly the whole of this month until March 28th. It is without doubt one of the most commonly feared and widely acknowledged astrological events, closely followed by Solar and Lunar eclipses.
So what does this Mercury in Retrograde actually mean?
Retrograde motion is when a planet appears, when observed from Earth, to reverse direction. This happens due to an optical illusion caused by differences in orbit. Since Mercury is the fastest planet in our solar system, it enters apparent retrograde motion between three and four times a year, for about three weeks at a time. (source:Time.com)
The frequency in which this occurs throughout our year means we all just love to get on the mercury retrograde band wagon, it is the topic of many a meme and used for many an excuse.
Now for the record I am not an astrologer. I play with astrology and I absolutely love to dive in deep with my favourite astrologers and hear about all the squares and trines, the transits and the aspects. It is a hobby. It is something that resonates deeply with my gypsy roots and my pagan/wicca soul. I want to align myself with the universe.
I know that as a woman I am HUGELY effected by the moon. She can stop me in my tracks with her beauty and amaze me by her subtlety.
It is the basis of much of what we teach.... align yourself in the rhythm of the moon. Your Moon Cycle, your Moon Centres and The Moons Phases. When we start to work with transits like mercury retrograde we are just adding to an already fabulous tool kit.
So why does everyone freak out?
Mercury rules communication. It also rules travel and technology. During this time it is believed that these areas can become untethered and unpredictable. It creates a type of shadow period. In the few weeks either side of the retrograde the energy can often be felt.
It is a time in which emails go astray. Computers crash. You lose your entire address book from your phone. Delays are expected when traveling. And straight forward conversations take uncanny turns leaving you in turmoil and dismay. That is if you enter this period as Tosha Silver would say "without God on your side."
But in Divine flow, in our neutral mind and connected with our higher sacred self we can trust that all will be as it is meant to be. We can afford ourselves the grace we may need during this period. Extra time in our schedule. Less meetings. Fewer contracts and more time.
We too can retrograde.... slow down to an almost stand still, that could also be seen as backward movement.... that can afford ourselves the luxury of space.
On a more personal note during this period long lost lovers may contact you out of the blue, tracking you down on facebook. You may hear from a distant or estranged family member. Or you may see an old friend in the street that you have not seen for years.
These encounters serve as a portal in which you are gifted the opportunity to re do conversations. Affirm truths. Reflect on the wisdom of the universe in her all knowing ways. Not so much amend but consolidate unfinished stories.
Mercury Retrograde is also the most fabulous time to put pen to paper. If you are a writer, a story teller, a painter, a creative... then this is your time. And before you laugh and say "well that's not me", just remember we are all creative. We all have a story and we all benefit hugely from finding a way to express this aspect of ourselves. It is the perfect time to start a gratitude journal. Not a rushed superficial list, but a heart led, soul inspired list that leaves you in a daily place of awe and bewilderment. Write poetry. Even if you were told at 12 that you should never do it. This Mercury retrograde occurring in Pisces inspires creativity, it is literally begging you to let those words flow and to not judge the outcome one iota.
Image from astro.com
So, what to actually do during mercury retrograde? (Or what not to do!)
• Stop, breathe and pause before you speak.
• Consider not signing any important documents, leases or agreements during this time.
• Don't make final life changing decisions. With this retrograde in Pisces we are dealing with sensitivity, emotions, compassions and love. Our boundaries maybe become unclear or undefined. It will be more important than ever to maintain a practice such as Sat Kriya, Ego eradicator, Balance Your Aura or our favourite Gyan Chakra meditation.
• Do not gossip! There is never a time that this can lead to success but during a mercury retrograde this can only ever lead to heart break. If it is not elevating quit speculating!
• Meditate, pray, offer it all to the Divine and know that you are supported. Nothing, absolutely nothing is a mistake. Transits are not to be feared but to be explored. Learn how you are affected and adjust your timetable and your lifestyle to best support yourself. The negative mind loves a bit of mercury retrograde drama. The positive mind will dine out on the hashtags. And the neutral mind, well, she will sit quietly observing and waiting for the show to be over, knowing as always that this too shall pass.
Meditation When You Don't Know What To Do
Some times no matter how hard we try to get back to our neutral mind and our higher self we find ourselves lost and scared. This is a meditation to do in these times. It would also be a good meditation to practise throughout this mercury retrograde period as a tool to strengthen the nervous system and anchor you in grace.
- Sit straight, crosslegged or in a chair.
- Relax the arms down by the side of the body.
- Bend the elbows and raise the hands up and in until they meet at the level of the chest.
- The fingers of each hand are extended and joined in a relaxed way. Cross the hands with both palms facing toward the chest. One palm rests
in the other and the thumbs are crossed. The fingers point up at a comfortable angle. (The position of left and right hand is interchangeable for this exercise.)
- Look deeply at the third eye, then bring the eyes to the tip of the nose.
- Follow the following breathing sequence;
1. Inhale through the nose, then exhale through the nose.
2. Inhale through the mouth, and exhale through the mouth.
3. Inhale through the nose, and exhale through the mouth.
4. Inhale through the mouth, and exhale through the nose.
Continue this sequence.
- All breaths should be deep, complete, and powerful.
- When breathing through the mouth, purse the lips almost as if to whistle.
- Start practicing this kriya for 3-11 minutes and gradually increase the time to a half hour.
Happy Mercury Retrograde beautiful soul. Remember you can always reach out to us for a personalised consultation for support or to design a personalised practice for you to elevate your life. You are never alone and in these times when the current seems to be pulling you backwards, when you think you should be pushing forwards, it is okay to let go, trust in the Divine and allow yourself to reconnect with universal flow.
All love and Sat Nam
Graceful Women xx
About Mercury astrology.com